Parris Family Blog

The musings of our family mayhem. There's never a dull moment...what the heck did we do before kids?

Sunday, November 08, 2009

The Princess is Four!




I'm not sure there are too many people out there that didn't know Kayla's birthday was November 4th and her birthday party was November 8th. Anyone she talked to in-person or on the phone was informed. She invited the whole family, and then reminded them frequently. To say she was "excited" would be a MAJOR understatement!

She really had practically a week of celebration.  We kicked it off with a trip to the Pacers game (doesn't she look absolutely adorable in her cheerleader uniform??).  This was even preceded by dinner at Chick-fil-A.  Tuesdays are their kids' night, so they painted her face, gave her balloons, and really made the night special.  Kayla even got to share the basketball game experience with her good buddy Jillian and her dad, Joe.  She came home bouncing off the walls, to which Aaron explained that she drank considerable amounts of soda.  This would be a first, probably not a last, but hopefully a very, VERY infrequent choice of refreshment!




Next the excitement shifted to her actual birthday.  I made her pink cupcakes with pink icing (an obsession thanks to Aunt Kelly providing her with Pinkalicious; I must-have book for little girls!).  She was ecstatic to be able to share these goodies with her classmates at school.






And how could I not have mentioned that she really started the week by moving up to a new classroom at school. She'd been dreaming about moving up to Ms. Julie's room for months, so it was awesome to witness her excitement at finally being big enough to move up. She'll often jump down from her chair at the dinner table, stand up tall, and ask, "See how big I'm getting?"

So the night of her birthday, we let her open one present to commemorate the day.  She had so much joy and appreciation for the simple shirt, socks, and underwear we'd given her.  She expressed that it was the best present ever with such sincerity, like she was in awe that she must be so special to receive this gift.  It melted my heart!  And thank goodness for a girl who loves her clothes (yes, I realize I'll be sorry for this trait when she's older and the clothes are more pricey)!



While there were definitely some specific gift requests, mostly she just wanted to have everyone celebrate together. Her wishes came true and then some. Our house was quite full, but it was a beautiful day. I've always made the cupcakes or cake for her birthday, but this year she specifically requested a cake with Cinderella, her name, and flowers on it. I thought someone else would do a better job than me, so I started looking at all of the stores to see what their bakery offered. I do NOT recommend this. Do you have any idea how many different Cinderella/princess cakes there are out there?? It was staggering. And Wal-Mart had recently created a castle cake featuring several of the princesses. I was completely overwhelmed. I finally settled on a yummy bakery nearby; here's their handywork.



I also wanted to get a few decorations. Nothing crazy, but a little something. I searched the web and found several party packs, but decided to call the local party store to see if they had Cinderella stuff. I was very specific that I was not looking for the supplies that have several princesses (including Cinderella) on them, but the items that just feature Cinderella. "Oh yes, of course," she replied, like it was one of the dumbest questions she'd had all day. Well, I was so relieved!

Relief turned into anger as I walked into the store the next day. I found a huge section of Disney Princesses, but where were Cinderella's solo goods?? After pacing the store for 20 minutes, I stated sifting though the Princesses and found a few plates and napkins. I made do with cups that had multiple princesses (which Kayla noticed at her party, might I add -- "Where's Cinderella??"), and purchased the extra special door-hanging (several weeks later, it's still hanging over the doorway to her bedroom!). I grabbed some streamers too, and called it a day.




Maren loved playing with Kayla's balloons.  While she doesn't have a smile on her face in this picture, she was having a blast.  Thanks to cousin Griffin carrying her around and helping her reach them.  Don't they look a lot alike?  Their hair even looks the same!






Kayla's getting quite a collection of tiaras, but everyone can use one that's got that extra special touch!



Kayla's been asking for roller skates for probably a year now, so the unfinished basement finally pays off!




While I didn't include any pictures here, we got Kayla a soccer ball, cleats, and shin guards (all pink, I might add).  She was so excited to try out her gear and play soccer like her cousin, Mari.  We had some nice weather shortly after her birthday and let her try everything out in the back yard.  I was impressed with her coordination, however, was surprised at her dramatic defeat anytime Aaron stole the ball away from her.  We've got a few lessens to teach her before the league starts up next spring!



From the eyes of a now 4-yr-old, it was an awesome party.  Our family was so thoughtful with all of the gifts and love they showered over her.  Later that evening when she was playing in her room, she told "Uncle" Josh multiple times that she had a great time and really loved her cake.  It was an extremely special day for our very special little girl.  We love you so much, Kayla!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home