Parris Family Blog

The musings of our family mayhem. There's never a dull moment...what the heck did we do before kids?

Friday, August 28, 2009

But she's my baby

Two weeks. Not even two full weeks. 11 days really. What's that...it's practically nothing. Well, I guess that all depends on your perspective. In this case, Maren's moving into the 1-yr-old room two weeks early. It's not much time, really, but I hadn't prepared myself for the leap just yet. But when Maren's teacher, school director, and assistant director all ask me about it...well, how could I say no?

It's really not a big deal. It's more the mentality that she's no longer a baby. Real milk, walking, 1 nap, gym time, sleeping on a cot, outdoor playtime, etc, etc, etc. But she's my baby!

Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled that she's doing so well, and that the move up should be an easy transition for her. I guess I'm the big wimp on this one. I was reminiscing with a classmate's mom (her daughter was also born on September 10th), over the details of our respective labors. It seems like it was so long ago, but it also went so fast.

We found when Maren really started crawling, she liked going into the tent (and not just because Kayla carried her into it). The girls still like playing in the tent together, though it usually ends up on its side, and we have to go rescue Maren.


Maren also found that playing with Kayla's kitchen is fun! Kayla's gradually learning to share.


She is so close to taking off walking. Tonight she took about 10 consecutive steps, two different times. She will just stand up in the middle of nowhere. It still is crazy to turn around and see her standing up. We were outside hosing off her car seat (another story for another day), and she was standing up all over the place. In the grass, on the driveway, in the mulch (Kayla plucked her out for me), on the front steps...she's getting so independent!

Any chance Kayla gets, she tries to walk with her, dance with her, mop the floor with her. She's about 70% nice, 30% naughty!


Kayla also decided that it would be great fun to push Maren around on this little car. If you're thinking this looks like a recipe for disaster, you're right! I usually leave this toy set up for a walk-behind push toy to help Maren with her walking. But again, this used to be Kayla's, and most recently she'd flown around the house on it as a car. Old habits die hard.



A final note, I mentioned chatting with the other mom -- when I pulled into the parking lot, I noticed she was in a cop car. Is it wrong that I was totally freaked out by the pistol on her hip?? She was in a regular women's business suit; no uniform to set my expectations. Talk about respecting someones authority! It completely caught me off guard when I walked up beside her at the sign-in sheet. I'll be doing my best to stay on her good side. I definitely won't be accusing her kid of being the one that bit Maren!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home