Parris Family Blog

The musings of our family mayhem. There's never a dull moment...what the heck did we do before kids?

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Anything you can do I can do better

So it's no secret, as much as I love water, boating, etc., I am not a water-sports girl, and rarely even dip my toes in the lake. I have an allergic reaction to lake water, and despite the fact that I practically lived in the water as a child, I've grown wiser with age (or more chicken). I've found the side effects are just not worth the fun of getting in the lake. So, I have learned to adjust to the steamy, hot summer days and just ask that we go really fast on boat rides! This mild summer has been perfect for me (sorry for the rest of you).

Anyway, I hope my girls are better than me at everything they do in life, and water-sports are no exception. We got things started this summer by Kayla skiing for the first time! I'm so thankful that she even had the opportunity to try it at such a young age. I hope that she can enjoy it for many years to come, and I'm sure Maren will be bringing on the "friendly" competition in a couple years.

She used a ski board (ski's that are connected in the front as a board), and on her first time out we sent Aaron with her on his knee board. Fortunately he's strong, because dragging himself through the water was no picnic! All in all, it was awesome. My biggest disappointment is that I had put the camera down to encourage Kayla, and I missed her pump her fist and then give me the thumbs up. I was shocked that she took her one hand off the rope to do it, so at least I have the image forever in my brain (hopefully). Here's some documented proof of the day.

Kayla and Dad swim out to get ready. I love that you can see Kayla's little pink toe nails as she's kicking through the water (see our vacation blog entry for more details on that one!)


Kayla receives instruction from Dad


I got this!


Check out my lean (we were trying to get her to move across the water, not happening!)


Now I'm just chillin'


And she takes the turn like a champ!


As we were gradually able to increase our speed, Aaron was able to get up on the knee board and have a little more fun. We couldn't hear her, but you could see Kayla "barking" at Aaron as he'd come across the wake to spray her. It was hilarious! She even held strong when we had to whip around and retrieve Aaron when we lost him off the knee board. I was very impressed for a 3 and 1/2 year old. She definitely didn't get it from me!

Aaron sets himself up to spray Kayla...


No, Dad. Don't do it!


Here is comes...


Don't spray me, Dad!


We tried again later in the week and she almost got up on her own without Aaron being in the water with her. I was so impressed by her composure. She would sit out in the water bobbing around until we could get back to her with the ski's. Lord only knows what she'll be attempting next year!

It's all good! We get a big smile and a thumbs up at the end of the ride.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home